Friday 15 March 2013

Wrapping up 2012


OK, I’ll admit that this is one of those quick ‘catching up’ entries to try and get this blog back into the current day.

Two sites sit in my mind as ‘THE’ sites of the summer – Sheepcote Valley Caravan Club Site in Brighton, and my new favourite CL in Kent. Which, in the best CL tradition, will remain my little secret.

I ended up going to Brighton twice, and both times the weather was stunning:





As for the CL in Kent, I thank Zoe of Hazy Days Caravan Hire for introducing me to such a wonderful place. We did a feature there for a forthcoming magazine article, and what a wonderful place. Nothing overly special – just a water tap and a place to empty the loo. However, the field is totally secluded, screened by trees, and what I like is that the middle of the field is left to grow long to give a relaxed feel despite the pitching areas being on short grass. Best of all, I’m usually the only one there. And it’s only £4.50 per night. Access is a bit of a pain, but I’m happy to put up with that.






At the end of August, Dougal and I toured the Cotswolds and found our new favourite site. Cirencester Park Caravan Club Site is perfection on a stick as far as I’m concerned. Up to the CC’s usual high standards, and on top of a decent doggy field for Dougal, there’s a park right next door open from 8am till 5pm. Best of all, a 20 minute walk through this park leads to Cirencester town, a pretty yet not-too-touristy place boasting many dog-friendly pubs and cafes. It really made an ideal place to chill, walk, drink, and eat. Perfect!





Before heading to the Cotswolds, we headed up to the Lake District to meet up with a group of Airstreaming friends, including a couple of families who had made the trip over from the Netherlands. A chilled-out, aluminiumy week was enjoyed by all, culminating as usual with many evenings sitting out way too late around the camp fire. Even my friend Gary made it for a few days in his vintage CI Sprite ‘Musky’. 



Summer was rounded off in traditional style with Rockhill Rendezvous, ‘the’ annual UKAirstreamers bash in Shropshire. As ever, a brilliant weekend, and the weather was particularly kind.










After that… time to head North. But my rig has a new addition, adding to our touring pleasure. The ramp to the back of my Navara in the pic above gives you a clue. More about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment